Mail Prep Checklist
March 10, 2016
Next time you are planning a direct mail campaign, use this handy checklist.
- Specific description of what is being mailed.
(specs should include paper type, weight, page count, folding description, flat and
- Number of pieces being printed vs quantity being mailed.
- Size and weight of each piece.
(are all pieces common or are there multiple versions that may have different weights
- Format of the address list.
(common formats are fixed-width ASCII, Excel, Access, dBASE and FileMaker that can
be transported electronically over the Internet, on a CD or a DVD)
- Number of versions being mailed.
(is it a static piece or variable)
- Items being supplied to be included with the mailing.
- Additional functions required.
(cleansing data, inkjetting, inserting, collating, etc.)
- Dates to be met.
(print files received, data received, mail drop date, in-house date)
- Which type of USPS service is to be used.
- Postage type.
- Geographic information for recipients.
(out of country deliveries, bulk mail qualification, etc.)
- Postage estimate.
(typically, all postage is pre-paid)